Friday, May 28, 2010

Test: Comparison of the three masks: Omer Alien, Omer Abbys, Mares Samurai

A quite big problem for freedivers and spearfishers beginers is to select the perfect mask for diving. General principles in the selection of the mask is the adjustment to the face, small volume and high visibility. After years of diving I realized that in addition to these features,  masks should also has a wide silicon around the mask, gives excellent fit to the face and softness of this silicone around the mask's frame.
When I was diving in Norway in February, in water which temperature was -1 degree Celsius, I noticed that it is better to have a mask with wide silicone around it's frame that it can be inserted under the hood of suit that we are wearing.

Therefore, I would like to present three "heroses" of my test:

Omer Alien - a mask, which I have since 2002. I bought it at store with spearfishing stuff, completing my equipment
for spearfishing. The current cost of the mask is about 25 - 30 €. Capacity, compared with the rest of
described masks is quite big, so freediving to great dephs in it isn't comfortable at all. I've tried it to 34 meters
and it takes to much air. An Alien maskhas the largest visibility and it is really big. The mask has the widest of all silicone
around the mask and it is the most flexible from all described masks. This is a mask designed for spearfishing and it works great
for me by few years. I would recommend this mask as an universal mask, which fit for anny face.


Omer Abbys - this is my reserve mask, it is smaller, but the silicone has the same elasticity as Alien. However, it is much,
much thiner than Alien had so if I'm not shaved wellor if I smile under the water it immediately leak. The volume of the mask is smaller than Alien
and the visibility is very low. Mask frame is solid ... even massive, and the upper part press my face between the eyebrows.
After a few hours after swimming it impress at our forehead. The cost of the mask is about 20 €. For me, this is a reserve mask mask,
and it will be only reserve mask which I can squeeze into every pocked in my trevel bag. This is a mask for people with small faces.


Mares Samurai - this mask I get for tests from Polish Spearfishing Association and I test it with the President of this association. This is a mask
with low volume, similar to the mask OMER Abbys. However, it is a little bit more comfortable mask than the previously described one
and it has a slightly larger glasses which gives a greater range of vision, but not as big as the Alien mask. It lose with all
Omer's masks in comparisos of elasticity of the silicone around the mask's frame. The width is very close to Abbys but Alien has it
much more wider. The cost of this mask is about 30 € so it is close to Alien mask. This is a mask for people with small faces. I probably will
change ma reserve mask for this one because it is good.

My personal rating of these three masks are:


1st OMER Alien (on the bacground)


2nd MARES Samurai (in the middle of the photo)


3rd OMER Abbys (the neares one)

When I have more mask, I describe them as soon as I can... and I think it will be in near future...

No comments:

Post a Comment