Friday, May 28, 2010

Test: Blades Carbon Leaderfins Waves

The time has come for serious shopping. I wanted to have a fiberglass fins to increase my results and safety
under the water. During one trip, my colleagues with whom I was going to order the fins, persuaded me to buy carbon fins. At first, I wasn't happy that I chose carbon, because when I spoke with professional freedivers thy said that the difference between strength and durability of fiberglass and carbon is insignificant but the price differences is quite big. In spite of everything I've ordered Leaderfins Waves Carbon blades. The order was realized very quickly and I had blades and after about 10 days. I began to assemble them into Picasso footpockets but it apears that the blades are designed for Omer footpocket and it doesn't fit to Picasso boots. I havn't been frightened, and after little changes which i made in my footpockets mounted blades so that it is kept stable and gave the opportunity to change them to the plastic one (I wanted to avoid a glueing blades bacause i want to train in pool with plastic ones... I don't want to damage fins, I dreamed about... :D). Before ordering I was wondering what stiffness I should choose.
I think it is a general problem when buying fins on the Internet. About how to choose one of the fins I will write in some posts in the future. I chose the medium stiffness and after testing I am happy with this choice, even that my first breath-hold dives from few years ago I made with extra hard fins Omer Millennium Competition. I don't feel those fins on my feet when I'm swiming in the pool.

Dimensions:

 - Total length of blades - 80 cm
 - The blade width - 20 cm
 - The length from the angle between the boots and blades - 68 cm
 - Mass of the pair of blades - 0.7 kg!
 - Avaliable stiffness - Soft, Medium (softer than picasso black team), Hard (softer than picasso black team), Extra hard

Workmanship:

Blades are made well, all edges are sanded smoothly, the fiber isn't shred and the surface of the blade is smooth. As in any handmade products as here there are some weaknesses and some of them can be improved. The edges need to be laminated once more to protect from the shreding (I will laminate edges and holes for screws using little brush and epoxy). The second thing that i've seen are the little poruses on the blades surface that can be seen when watching with strong light but I think, that it won't has nay influence to the quality of the material (I will see after fev months of diving).

In few days i will test them diving deep and I will add some description to this post. At the pool tranining, I noticed that they are working much easier than the Picasso Black Millennium fins, which I had the pleasure to swim so far and reflect the force as good as them. Blades doesn't reflect significant sun or light shines under the water. Side rails makes easier to kick with the paralel direction to the way of swimming
and they prevent water slipping from the sides. Fin movements when swimming does not emit any sound, but the torsional movements and dynamic movements that cause the constant wave in the fin emite clatter of the laminate.

I think it was worth to spend 90 € + shipping (20 €, which is in the multipersonal order imperceptible) on the blades of Leaderfins because they has a low price and the product is high quality.

2 comments: